[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 21 00:09:07 PST 2009

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Quentin Harley wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice thing about DAW hardware is that most of it is developed
>>> already, and you just need to find the winning combination.  At
>>> least we know where to get the software for it
>>>
>> This is really dependent on whether we are providing a custom
>> solution or a retail product.
>>
>> Making Ardour run on existing products is an interesting idea but I
>> don't see much money coming from it.
>
> What I mean by "existing" is something along these lines...
>
> Lean mean ardour machine:
>
>    * Powerful small form factor motherboard in a silent custom case
>      running stripped down audio only Linux distro
>    * Flash based drives for high reliability under touring conditions
>    * High end ADAT card inside
>    * Optional bundled with high end ADAT able input interface, worthy
>      of studio owners attention
>    * Optional bundled with USB control surface, tested extensively in
>      the hardware environment.
>    * Streamlined work flow, enabling the user to fluently make a
>      recording, mix, master and burn Red Book master without the need
>      of another system
>
> If this was available for sale when I started out, I would probably
> buy it.  I had to set this up for myself at high cost in terms of time
> to implement - (set-up learning curve)

I see what you mean there. Not DAW hardware but PC hardware setup for
use as a DAW.

I imagine that there is a market for this system. Many people have tried
to do it in the past but have always been held back for some reason.
Maybe it's time to revisit it as a group?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.