[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:43:45 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com
> wrote:

> Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Patrick Shirkey <
>> pshirkey at boosthardware.com <mailto:pshirkey at boosthardware.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    It's not about the disagreeing. It's good that you voice your
>>    opinion and are making an effort to be succinct.
>>
>>    The issue I see is about the blanket denial of the idea as being a
>>    viable concept for generating revenue.
>>

>> One of us is misunderstanding something then;)  Not sure which, but I
>> haven't seen (Or don't remember;) anyone say that there is no chance it
>> could encourage revenue, just that they feel it isn't worth the compromise
>> in order to do so.
>>
> This is the point. Paul has had to compromise a lot more for Ardour than we
> would by him allowing a Licensing feature into Ardour. Anyone who thinks the
> compromise isn't worthy of Paul's sacrifices needs to adjust their thinking.
>
> This is not about Ardour. It's about making it viable for Paul to keep
> working on Ardour.

Which is in itself DIRECTLY about Ardour.  Paul has made a great piece of
software through his compromises, and that is what some of us don't want to
see compromised needlessly.  At this point we have many other avenues to
follow through on to try to find more funding, so let us do those instead of
this, as those might not require such a compromise, and may be even more
likely to provide funding capable of sustaining Paul.

        Seablade