[Ardour-Dev] Website integration with Ardour interface

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Jan 20 02:08:19 PST 2009

On Jan 20 11:21:31, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I don't see why it is a problem to embed a browser if we are going to
> have external links directly in the interface and expect people to be
> connected to the internet in order to contribute anyway.

Because (repeat after me)

1) having a browser embeeded in your application is bad,
   unless you absolutely have to use your very own browser
   (as opposed to let the user use whichever of the browsers
   out here he chooses), which you don't, mmmkay?

2) "having external links in the interface" can just mean
   [ please visit ardour.org ] on a flash screen (leaving
   it to the sophisticated audio person to figure out he
   needs to have a browser to do that).

3) No way anybody is gonna send real money through anything
   but a decent https-capable browser (as opposed to an
   embedded mini-browser of an audio application).

> Seems like it would actually be less maintenance in the long run.

Leaving to the user to use his own browser means zero maintenance.

> It would also allow users to make financial contributions from directly
> inside the app while they are using it which is the most likely time
> they will feel like giving anyway.

"Hey this multitrack audio app is great! You know what would make it even
better? If there was a crappy paypal window inside a browser embedded
between the track-editing panels I am just working in."

> Basically, strike while the iron is hot.
> Give the users the option and they will utilize it.

Such as: put a donation button on your homepage.

	Jan