[Ardour-Dev] funding priorities

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Jan 19 23:47:04 PST 2009

> if i want nag screens, stupid arbitrary limitations and an altogether
> unpleasing user experience, i can buy a soundcard with bundled "share
> ware" or cubase LE or whatnot today. i don't need ardour for that.

Amen to that. As soon as Ardour itself starts popping up donation screens,
I am back to ecasound. Please keep it as clean and simple as possible.

I think a good way is what FreeBSD does: they post a donation goal
for a given year and count down. Ardour's donation page says:

	If 300 people subscribed at $10/month, Ardour would have
	a just-workable income stream.

That's 12 * 3000 = 36000

	Make that 600 people at $10/month or 1200 people at $5/month,
	and I can avoid seeking further sponsorship.

That's 12 * 600 = 72000

	Double those numbers, and we could
	see another person working full time on the software.

That's 144000.

Why not just state "we need 72000 (and would like 144000)
for the next year" and count down on a donation page (while
leaving Ardour itself totally untouched by this campaign).

	Jan