[Ardour-Dev] PD for Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Dec 4 12:35:53 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM, John Delaney <a.pet.rock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know where Midi support is, yet, in Ardour, but this could
> certainly solve that problem, though creating the musical score, this
> would not do.

no, MIDI is not a part of the answer here.

You can already control almost everything "global" in Ardour,
including activating all main menu items, via OSC. You can also
control per-track/bus settings such as mute/gain/solo/rec-enable via
OSC too. This provides integration at that level, but this has nothing
really to do with what Max4Live is all about.

Max4Live is a fairly deep integration of a Max runtime into Live along
with even deeper integration of the GUIs for M4L "objects" into the
main Live GUI.

To do this properly, Ardour (specifically libardour) needs a language
binding, at the very least. We have batted about ideas about the right
language for years - Lua, Scheme, Chicken, Python have all been
discussed. Nothing has been done. If somebody really wants to make a
move on this kind of idea, this is where to start. Oh, and don't go
playing with 2.X, because that's feature frozen, none of what you do
there will ever be merged, and libardour looks pretty different in 3.X
anyway.

At this point, no particular language is "blessed", so someone who is
actually motivated would do well just to pick something and go with it
for now.

--p