[Ardour-Dev] Payed downloads for Ardourvst on GNU/Linux

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:23:09 PDT 2009

Ahh right. So it all comes down to this:

> The problem is that since anyone you distribute to is free
> to re-distribute, you have to create a compelling case why
> anyone should pay *you*.

We work on that one and case can be closed.

Mozilla does it. But that's not actually "doing it" because at the end of
the day, the installation is not registered in the local package management
database.

I couldn't structure the last paragraph properly. In fact, as I see it now
it doesn't even make sense. What I meant was this:

Users see that Ardour is charging for vestige.
Users see that the other projects are not charging for vestige.
Users wonder "why is Ardour charging?"

Take a look at eLive. There is a mandatory donation needed for anyone to
download the ISO. And I think it's working. Can it be done in a similar
fashion eg. donate to download the source?