[Ardour-Dev] Adding markers via script

Pau Arumí parumi at iua.upf.edu
Tue Apr 7 10:10:22 PDT 2009

Hi all,

here at barcelonamedia audio lab we are starting to use external scripts
to fill up plugins automation parameters (for example, to control 3D
audio sources via plugins).  So far so good. But now we want to add
markers, which deals with adding new xml's ids.

The specific question: given an .ardour session with this header:

        <Session version="2.0.0" name="test" sample-rate="48000"
        id-counter="800">

is it safe to add a marker like this, while saving the .ardour file with
and incremented id-counter in its header (that is 801)?

          <Locations>
            <Location id="801" name="automatic_mark" start="0" end="0"
            flags="IsMark" locked="yes"/>

We have tested that in one example and it works. But since the id's
management seems complex (in that ids are not consecutively assigned) we
wanted to make sure that it is 100% safe.

Thanks!