[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Wed Nov 19 21:52:46 PST 2008

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
>> Patrick Shirkey:
>>

>>> To save space the waveform could be exported as 8bit/mono which
>>> should give enough info to build the peakfiles and display the
>>> complete waveform.
>>>

>> Except it wouldn't.
>>

> I don't see why a track saved in 8 bit mono wouldn't provide enough
> data to generate a peakfile for use as a quick reference. Can you give
> more details on why you feel this wouldn't work?

Your master display will need to be in stereo, unless you never work in
stereo.  2nd, actively converting 32 float into 8bit all the time would
take even more processing power than just using the 32bit float
masterbuss output.  Maths becomes involved.  Every time you change
something if will have to use a custom audio engin, not written yet to
sense the changes (with effects) and print it to the 8bit file, using
the 32bit to 8bit converter.

I may be old fashioned, but it all seems a bit much, just to be able to
see a waveform that may or may not be accurate.

If this is to be implemented, it needs to have minimal impact in the
current engin.