[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Tue Nov 18 17:05:22 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 09:41:40AM -0500, plutek-infinity wrote:
> >From: "John Emmas" <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>
> >Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:35:57 -0000
>
> >Does anyone know of another system that already offers this?  I don't and
> >personally, I like the idea.  I've often said that Ardour should offer more
> >individuality and establish an identity all of its own.
>
> i know SawStudio (http://www.sawstudio.com/) has the ability to generate a list of peaks above a user-defined threshold for the master output, but i don't know of anything offering a complete waveform display without full export.

So we are talking about a second audio engine, which is running in the
background. (engine means a second butler thread also)

to make this at least somwhat usable for dj mixes (which are rougly 1
hour in length) , it might need to render only things that changed recently.
so we need to change all editing operations to maintain a list of
changed positions.

i consider this at least of the same complexity as adding midi to
ardour. while being much more spread over all the code.
this makes merging trunk changes into that branch a lot more
nightmarish than merging 2.0-ongoing with 3.0.

i dont think there are more than 10 people in the world who could do
this. and one of them alone would still fail, because he would be
swamped by fixing mergoes.

having said that:
having a button which would freewheel over a range would be nice.
so you could have a tape track of the master and just freewheel
a range you changed onto that.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language