[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:00:45 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Patrick Shirkey
<pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While working on the LAM mix it has occurred to me that a rather handy
> feature would be if Ardour could generate a waveform display of the master
> out.
>
> I'm not sure if this would need to be possible in realtime but it would
> certainly be handy for getting a quick visual reference of the complete
> session for a long playing DJ mix.
>
> I know I can just print the session and look at it that way which is what I
> will do now but I thought I would put the idea out there in case it makes
> sense to include it at a later date.
>
> Conversely this may already be in place and if so I would appreciate advice
> on how to make it work.
>

> Cheers.
>
> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd.

I don't understand how the suggested waveform could be very accurate
until the session is complete due to the effect of automation on the
output wave form.

Once I'm done working on the music and things don't change anymore it
could be a good waveform, but in the process of making the mix I might
be dragging automation points around which could invalidate what's
shown in that display. Ardour could render it in real-time but I
wouldn't want it wasting CPU cycles each time I tweak some automation.

This would even be more suspect should Ardour ever handle MIDI, but of
course I started asking for that in maybe 2000 so I don't suspect we
really have to cross that bridge quite yet... ;-)

Not a big deal and I do see how it might be helpful in your application.

Cheers,
Mark