[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

John Rigg arddev at sound-man.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 07:56:19 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:08:53PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Yes it could and no it couldn't. The idea is to be able to look at the
> complete waveform for the session and see where the levels dip/rise so
> they can be fine tuned. This means no listening back in order to spot
> the points that need work.

If you record a mixed down track you can also scroll through it
to find areas that you might want to work on.

It seems that it would involve an insane amount of work rewriting
major parts of Ardour just to avoid recording a mix, which after
all takes exactly the same amount of time as listening to a track
to check it before you export it. (And if you don't listen, how
can you tell it's ready to export? I don't buy the idea that you
can tell what it sounds like just by looking at waveform display.)

John