[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Nov 18 07:08:53 PST 2008

Harold wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:59:15 +0700, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Davis wrote:

>>> Such a system would completely violate several of the main code-level
>>> assumptions about what a bus is. That doesn't make it impossible, but it
>>> makes very hard.
>>>

>> I'm thinking of leaving the bus system alone and adding a case where the
>> master bus pipes to a master track which generates the peakfiles but not
>> the waveform?
>>

> Ehm I might be totally wrong but can't this be implemented as a Jack
> client, which sole purpose is to display a (scrolling) waveform in a
> separate window?

Yes it could and no it couldn't. The idea is to be able to look at the
complete waveform for the session and see where the levels dip/rise so
they can be fine tuned. This means no listening back in order to spot
the points that need work.

This doesn't mean no listening at all as that would defeat the purpose
of working with audio in the first place.

It does mean taking a load off the ears and saving some valuable time
when working with long sessions which then translates to happier ears
and bigger wallets or more time for groupies...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.