[Ardour-Dev] Sponsorship

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Nov 18 02:57:43 PST 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 11:36 +0100, Harold wrote:
>

>> US$ 50
>> US$ 40
>> US$ 30
>> US$ 25
>> US$ 21 <- mine!
>> US$ 20
>> US$ 20
>> US$ 10
>> US$ 10
>> US$ 10
>> US$ 10
>> US$ 5
>> US$ 5
>>
>> If the top 5 sponsored mantis issues were in a block on ardour.org, maybe
>> they will draw some more attention and some more 'drive' to keep them in
>> the top 5...
>>

> this is an excellent idea.
>
> the current scale of sponsorship is all wrong for the existing developer
> base. i have no doubt that there are skilled programmers in bolivia,
> hindustan and rwanda who would be very happy to spend the hours needed
> to implement any of these requests and receive the sums listed. the
> problem is that as a programmer in the "first" world, it is hard to
> justify spending more than 1 hour or two on *any* of these issues at
> present. last time i looked, none of them were 1 hour projects.
>
> there are several ways out of this: more sponsors, sponsors willing to
> pay more, developers willing to be paid less. not sure which one wins.

I think the first should be possible. People just need more incentive to
give. A simple rss ticker to remind people what is being sponsored would
be a start. It could be based on the mantis block from the site. It
would also let you make announcements to the people using the app who
don't necessarily read the forums, mailing lists or #ardour.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.