[Ardour-Dev] unexpected stops

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Nov 12 13:42:14 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:15:46PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When controlled remotely via Jack transport, Ardour2
> > seems to stop sometimes when requested to locate while
> > playing. This happens even when jack_sync_timeout is
> > set to a quite high value (5 seconds),
>
> `man jackd`:  In realtime mode the client timeout must be smaller than
>  the watchdog timeout (5000 msec). - 5s may have been re-set to default
> 500ms?!

Thanks for your reply.

I'll look up the man page, but this seems a strange
condition - the transport sync timeout has nothing
at all to do with the audio processing cycle - this
continues normally while clients are locating.

> > in theory
> > allowing ardour to take its time without upsetting
> > anyone or itself.
> >
> > Any idea why this happens ? There's no error message,
> > no 'your disk is too slow' error, etc.
> >
> since no one else seems to reply.  This problem is not a
> recent one but never bothered me in particular.
>
> I've got a hunch that it's the ardour GUI lazily moving
> the playhead.. - I can reproduce it if I do two (or more) transport
> relocations. When one of them coincides with ardour adjusting the
> playhead to a former relocate (ardour quickly goes to stop and the play
> again) jack-transport remains stopped.
>
> Since one can't scrub jack-transport anyway, it's probably not worth
> fixing. Did you check if there's already a ticket in the bugtracker?

Scrubbing is not what I'm trying to do. The app I'm writing is
a 'player like' interface (stop, start, playlist, loop, etc.)
allowing a non-technical user (in this case the person selling
tickets at a museum entrance) to control a complex system in
which Ardour delivers the prerecorded audio.

I could make that app force Ardour into play when its local
state is 'playing' but that would somehow subvert the normal
way in which Jack transport is used - all clients are equal.

Ciao,

--
FA

Parma, Italia