[Ardour-Dev] OSC sequencing with Ardour?

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Fri May 16 12:17:34 PDT 2008

Pau Arumí Albó wrote:
> I'm not interested in using OSC to control the mix (or whatever Ardour
> control) but only in the second case you mentioned.
>
> It is not theater lighting in the case at hand but a 3-D acoustic
> modeler app. And the OSC message sender is not a hardware controller but
> a 3-D graphics (gaming) engine that sends the sound sources and
> listeners positions.
>
> The benefits i see in using Ardour for this are:
>       * aligned to the OSC controls i also need to record and play audio
>         sources (that also feeds the acoustic renderer)
>       * the existing automation user interface is already suitable for
>         editing each OSC control.
>
> It is good to know that sounds interesting and seems doable in 3.x

Actually it's doable now, so long as you can put up with a little
clunkyness in ardour's visual representation, and a maximum fixed number
of players (adding tracks tends to be glitchy, but enabling a
pre-existing track is not)

Are the audio sources and destinations connected to jack? - eg:

ardour trk player1 -> renderer
ardour trk player2 -> renderer
ardour trk player3 -> renderer

You'd write an LV2 plugin that has support for positioning information
(pick your co-ordinate model: x,y,z, polar, etc. Incidentally a "speed"
set of coordinates would be interesting in creating doppler effects, and
compensating for network latency). In current ardour these would be
presented by a classic 2D strip, one per control.

The plugin would be different from normal plugins because it would know
about the existence of other invocations of the plugin and share data
with them.

(there's another way to skin this cat, in that you can write a plugin
that accepts X number of channels, and do all this on one track)

Assuming all this is running on one box, rather than over the network,
you could embed the controller information in a jack stream(s) (which is
nothing but floating point numbers, anyway),
which would give you continuous point sources to play with.

Using OSC you'd have to be "snapshotting" the position at frequent
intervals...

What's the renderer? App? Sounds like fun.