[Ardour-Dev] Ardour and GTK+OSX

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Mar 16 08:23:03 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 00:51 -0800, Robin Rowe wrote:
> Hi. I'm the project leader for GTK+OSX. I'm preparing the next release
> and notice you're using GTK+OSX with Ardour.
>
> Do you have any requests or suggestions for GTK+OSX?

you may or may not be aware that over the last 6 months i've become one
of the most active developers for gtk/osx. i have a set of patches
waiting to be approved in bugzilla, some of which are pretty deep, and
richard hult has already merged several of them. richard and i talk
about stuff every week or so, so i think we're a *lot* more deeply
involved in gtk/osx development than you seem to be aware of.

we don't use releases of gtk/osx, and likely never will because we need
changes that are unlikely to ever be accepted by mainstream gtk. we
distribute gtk/osx as part of our app bundle (i was also posted a
detailed message about to build app bundles with gtk to the imendio
gtk/osx forum, which seems to have gotten people started). i don't see
"releases" of gtk/osx as relevant to anyone, actually.

the main issue with gtk/osx right now, from an ardour perspective, is
that the DnD model on OS X is so utterly different from X11 that many
places where DnD matters most (in particular, inside a tree/listview)
simply doesn't work. this has affected a number of important functions
in ardour. from discussions with the "maintainer" of the gtk treeview,
this is unlikely to change because he doesn't want to mess with the
"old" treeview while working on the "new" treeview.

regards,
--p