[Ardour-Dev] Region 'name' problem

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 00:55:53 PDT 2008

Using some of my own code I managed to transfer a session (via AAF)
from Pro Tools into Ardour.  It works pretty well except for a problem with
the Region names.

Pro Tools has an annoying habit of rendering any fades before it exports an
AAF or OMF.  Therefore, you get lots of regions with names like "Fade 637",
"Fade 638" etc.  Well, that's not quite true because typical fade names seem
to be terminated by a "non English" character.  I'm not sure how well this
will transfer across email but a real region (after being saved as an Ardour
session) might look more like this:-

<Region id="22"  name="Fade 637ÿ"  start="0"  length="48000"
// rest of region data
</Region>

The final character in that name should look like a lower case letter ' y '
with an umlaut above it.  Ardour rejects this name and refuses to load
the file.  It should be possible for me to filter out the unacceptable
characters but it would be nice to know why Ardour doesn't like them.

Thanks,

John