[Ardour-Dev] Average RMS analyser tool for Ardour

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Fri Mar 7 00:22:50 PST 2008

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> RMS level is not the same as loudness.
>>

> Thanks, I am aware of this
>
>> Subjective loudness, and how it varies in function of RMS,
>> depends on:
>>
>> - absolute listening level,
>> - the spectrum of your signal, and its recent history,
>> - the FR of you playback system,
>> - if you like the sound/music or not,
>> - etc. etc.

That is definitely true. But except for musical taste there are quite
reliable loudness models, mainly used in phsyco-acoustics, which take
spectral and temporal structure of sounds into account, and can also
model hearing loss, masking noise (like in cars; this is why you
definitely need different dynamics in cars than in your studio) and so on.

There are attempts to generate an automated master mix, based on
loudness models, musical style etc.. Personally, I do not beleive in
that, but the group working on it claims that it works pretty well to
create initial master mix settings. Unfortunately, the link I found is
only in german, but you might contact the leader of the group, Jörg
Bitzer:
http://www.hoertechnik-audiologie.de/web/file/Forschung/Projekte.php,
project "Virtual Sound Engineer".

- Giso