[Ardour-Dev] DDP Mastering

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jun 25 04:58:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:40 +0200, Andreas Ruge wrote:
> Dear all!
>
> First of all, I have to admit that I'm fairly new to Ardour, having
> never really used it.  But when reading about the improvements that
> are worked on for the export dialog, I thought I should offer my
> help for an DDP export feature, whenever that might be on the plate.
>
> I think I do have pretty good knowledge of the spec and the
> different flavors of DDP filesets that are around these days.

Nick Mainsbridge has already done some work on DDP export support. I'll
let him weigh in with whatever he's done so far.

> Adding DDP export to Ardour should be pretty straight forward, as
> it's not much different than a cue sheet export.  Much more work (as
> always) would be the possibility to import it, or just play it - the
> latter feature is missing in most commercial DAWs as well.
>
> Troublesome is most likely the license.  Using the DDP format for
> "products" is free of charge, but the license expires every year,

The first question that needs to be determined in this area is whether
we actually need to obtain a license to support DDP in the first place.
If its easily "reverse" engineered, the situation is entirely different
(there are no rules that protect file formats, unless they are
encrypted). I don't know how Nick has done whatever he has done so far.

--p