[Ardour-Dev] GTK+ (concepts and advice)

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 03:17:49 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fons Adriaensen" <fons at kokkinizita.net>
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] GTK+ (concepts and advice)

> Not at all the same thing.

Fons - AFAICT, they are pretty much the same thing (with the proviso the
Windows only supports hard links for NTFS volumes, not FAT32 etc).

However, this brings up the question of assessing/determining the partition.
Given only a path to a file, what calls can a programmer use to determine
which partition it's located on?  Under Windows it's relatively simple
because partitons are assigned with a drive letter and from a drive letter
you can get information about the associated volume.  So even if (unusually)
a given partition was being referenced by 2 different drive letters, you
could still work out that they're the same partiton.  I assume that's also
feasible for Linux but maybe a bit trickier?

John