[Ardour-Dev] GTK+ (concepts and advice)

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Jun 16 14:54:00 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:51:43PM -0000, John Emmas wrote:

> 1)  If we have 2 x hard links to a particular file, can they each refer to
> the file by a different name?
>
> 2)  Whether they can or they can't can both hard links be in the same
> directory?

If by 'name' you mean the complete path, then of course they
have to be different, otherwise there's only one name.

Apart from that, you can have

/dir1/file.dat
/dir2/file.dat

pointing to the same inode, and hence the same file,
and also

/dir/file1.dat
/dir/file2.dat

can point to the same inode, and the same file.

> 3)  Instead of me using fopen/fread on the source file and fopen'fwrite on
> the destination file, what would be involved in creating one of these hard
> links?

On the command line, the commands are 'ln' to create a new link,
and 'rm' to remove one.

>From C, you use

  int link (const char *oldpath, const char *newpath);

and

  int unlink (const char *path);

both declared in <unistd.h>

Ciao,