[Ardour-Dev] Recording may channels at once

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Jul 3 07:25:04 PDT 2008

(cc to ardour-dev)

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> And is far from a standard setup as well;)  If the OS is running from
> memory, and you are not swapping anything in or out of the swap partition(Or
> file as the case may be), but are still running X, GUI based programs(Azerus
> etc.) and doing 128 tracks of recording, all from a single disk, you are
> pretty lucky IMO, even on Linux.  I can't even depend on 64 tracks without a
> dropout due to disk access on a system disk.  32 is even pushing it, but i
> will say I have done it.  This is running Ardour, X, e17, jackd, and that is
> about it, on a properly patched kernel, with proper PAM permissions, but
> that does still have logging set up etc.

I think this might be because ardour records to separate files. I just
tried recording 128 channels in ardour using 16 X 8 channel tracks,
and it failed quite immediate. Recording 128 channels using jack_capture,
on the other hand, seems rock solid. Recording 64 channels (8 X 8) in
ardour seems to work fine too.

However, it could also be because Ardour does some graphical operations
while recording. Is there any way to turn off all that?

Perhaps this is an area where Ardour could be optimized quite a bit?