[Ardour-Dev] **TEST** release of ardour 2.2

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 03:43:51 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wolfgang Woehl" <tito at rumford.de>

> Loop / range / location markers can be set to beyond the end marker. To me
> the one obvious problem with this is a loop range with its right hand
> marker beyond the end marker. Loop playback then stops at the end
> marker. Maybe just move the end marker along with any marker's
> positioning?

I must admit, I've often meant to question the wisdom of having an end
marker in the first place....  I can see the benefit of having a mark that
allows one to jump conveniently to the end of the playlist.  But I can't see
what benefit there is in having a marker beyond which the playlist cannot be
played or scrolled.  In fact, if any users were working with video, this
would be an incredible nuisance.  Quite often, it's necessary to fast
forward, just to see what's "coming up" - or maybe to record something from
a video tape that's beyond the end of what you've already tracklayed.

I'd strongly suggest keeping the end marker as a marker - but removing the
feature by which the playlist effectively "stops working" after the end
marker gets reached.  Maybe someone can put forward an argument for keeping
this behaviour but I can't think of one.

Cheers,

John