[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 released

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Feb 11 05:54:02 PST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 7:48 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> For doing simple, manual but very precise edits in an
> efficient way Ardour is still not what it could be.
> I'd much love to see that improved rather than new
> features being added.

If you could elaborate on some of your ideas here, there's a good
chance someone (other than you, even) might step up and do it!  Good
GUIs are hard, and we need all the help we can get.

In terms of features getting in your way, don't hesitate to
specifically cite them.  Menu bloat is one thing that could be dealt
with by some added user configuration that lets you pick and choose
the set of items that might show up.  Other than that, tell us what
your issues are with the main editing canvas / other workflow stuff.

Also, the whole surround stuff that got an embyronic start last summer
still hasn't shown up.  I know you probably just use Ardour as a
vessel for raw B-format, but if there were good interfaces for panning
support (simultaneous and independent stereo and surround panning per
track) even you might be tempted to use those kind of features.  And
if you wouldn't, think about what would it take for you to do so.
Obviously this is a separate discussion, which will happen whenever
someone steps up to finish what was started.

jlc