[Ardour-Dev] Need a 32 bit Ardour (with VSTs) on an x86_64 linux system

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Mon Dec 1 03:58:54 PST 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 03:25:17AM +0100, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>>

>>> If I had any budget, I would prefer to do this the 'right' way instead of
>>> the 'quick/free kludge' way.  However, I do like the basic underlying idea
>>> of untrained people (musicians) hooking up software components as a tool
>>> to produce something new for them.
>>
>> Strange that it's harder to make VST's working in ardour today than 6 years
>> ago when the vstserver was still working. If someone just ported the
>> vst->ladspa wrapper to dssi-vst, making special versions
>> of ardour wouldn't be necessary. (No, I don't have time to do that. :-))
>
> what is the problem with vstserver ?

Since the wine people changed the API x times during
2003, and both fst and dssi-vst popped up as alternatives,
I didn't see any reason to bother with it anymore.

But now that dssi-vst finally got support for LADSPA,
there should be _absolutely_ no reason to talk about
that software anymore. :-)

> but yeah. now that you mention i realize that dssi-vst
> is lacking plain LADSPA support.
> it should be easier. to strip the dssi extensions from
> dssi-vst and create a ladspa wrapper that way.

It got supported in May this year. Maybe Chris
forgot to announce it?