[Ardour-Dev] 2.4 lock edit issue

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri Apr 4 04:33:27 PDT 2008

Quoting Sakari Bergen <sakari.bergen at tkk.fi>:

> For me the only semantically good reason to use transparency at all, is
> for overlapping regions where I don't want a crossfade, but rather make
> the top layer transparent. So, what I would like to have is a
> "transparent crossfade" option. This would actually make it a lot easier
> for me to use transparency as I do.

Sounds like a good idea. But it fails on one use case for transparent
regions: fully overlapping regions.

Imagine a drum take where the drummer misses a cymbal hit. After the take,
the drummer hits the cymbal in an otherwise quiet room. The regions from
that hit are then separated, made transparent and positioned over the drum
take so that the cymbal hit is on time.

This is an editing and routing nightmare without transparent regions. To do
this "correctly", you need the two sounds mixed together at unity gain. With
Paul's bus approach, you would now need to create a bus and an extra track
per mic. For a typical pop drum setup this means 10x buses and 10x extra
tracks - if you're lucky to not have more drum mics. Even if you cheat and
add the cymbal hit only in the overheads and room mic, you still need to
wire up 3 buses and 3 extra tracks just to make this simple edit happen.

You could always make the band play right in the first place, but .. this is
what DAW's are supposed to be good at.

  Sampo