[ardour-dev] File Extensions and Preprocessor stuff

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue May 8 15:29:48 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 11:51:01PM +0200, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> On 5/7/07, torbenh at gmx.de <torbenh at gmx.de> wrote:
(snip)
> > > Now let's face something. Windows has no command line. I don't see why
> > > windows users would see the advantage of command line tools compared
> > > to nice and shiny GUIs.
(snip)

> > www.cygwin.com   ----  kernels dont matter.
> >
> > oh well... for me this boils down to the only question: vi, or no vi ?
>
> hmm, you're right, I was a bit too quick in my argumentation. We do
> use cygwin at work (since we're obliged for some obscure reasons to
> use windows) and it does bring us a lot of things that windows lacks.
>
> So, no need for an IDE to develop a windows port of ardour anymore ;-)

Actually, MS has released (and will include in Vista) a quite
sophisticated command-line environment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

The examples look intriguing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell#Examples

Some of it (eg. pipes, extensible tab completion) is playing catchup
with stuff we've had for ages, but if it works out in practice,
there's actually some stuff in there that I'm a bit jealous of.
Eg. their pipes work with objects rather than text streams.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com