[ardour-dev] File Extensions and Preprocessor stuff

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed May 2 08:41:39 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fons Adriaensen" <fons at kokkinizita.net>

> Same here. And what could any IDE add to what scons already does ?

It's like someone asking what gas-fired central heating gives you that you
can't get from burning logs.  Some people like chopping wood - others don't

I suppose I'm trying to think ahead.  My AAF->Ardour converter will
initially be written for Windows with somebody else (hopefully) writing a
Linux GUI.  the IDE that I'm trying out (Code::Blocks) claims to be
compatible with a whole range of compilers, linkers & debuggers for both
Linux and Windows and it creates a consistent look & feel for all platforms
and build environments.  It can also load and save a Visual C++ workspace
and there are plans to create a workspace by importing a Scons project
(building with Scons is currently supported via a command line).  Therefore,
Code::Blocks gives at least the promise of a simple route between Visual C++
and Scons which would be of interest to any Windows programmer.

In my short time using Linux I've come to realise that for the Linux
diehard, anything that smells even faintly of Windows is like a red rag to a
bull.  Nevertheless, the world is a colourful place and I just don't see the
sense of trying to view it in black & white.  Personally I gave up using
command lines about 15 years ago but if others still want to program that
way, it's up to them.

Cheers,

John