[ardour-dev] Creating sound files

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 01:30:26 PDT 2007

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out the relationship between Playlists,
Regions, Diskstreams and Sources in an Ardour XML file.

>From what I can see a Playlist corresponds to what you might call a 'track'
on a multitrack tape.  Regions seem to correspond to 'sounds' recorded
on the tape.  And Sources seem to be the actual files that contain the audio
data.

What I can't figure out is where Diskstreams come into the equation....
Diskstreams seem to be connected with Playlists but I'm not sure how or why.
Is there always one Diskstream for each Playlist?  Or can there be more than
one?  Or can one Diskstream be referenced by several Playlists?  Or can a
Playlist have some other kind of stream that isn't a Diskstream?  I'm sure
it must all make sense when you understand it...!

All help gratefully received...!

John