[ardour-dev] [ardour-users] bug or stupidity ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:38:11 PDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Dan Tepper <dan at wintaper.com> wrote:
> > You would be wrong in thinking there is currently special code to
> > handle this, in fact the lack of said code is allowing this bad
> > behavior to occur.
>
> Actually, that is what I meant. To implement it "correctly" would
> require more code in the current incarnation. You'd need to handle those
> regions slightly differently than "normal" regions. Currently it is not
> working as intended because you do not have that code in place.
>
> IMHO if you modify the loop/punch to create separate audio files and
> regions, the resulting files/regions would behave exactly like all other
> regions and require no special handling after initial creation. While
> I'm not familiar with the ardour codebase, I would imagine it would
> require something like calling Close() and then Open() each time you
> loop, instead of just calling CreateRegion() as it appears you are doing
> now (my own pseudo-code - not real Ardour functions).
>
> btw 2.0.3 runs great - nice work again!
>
> -Dan

I feel like I opened up a fun can of worms since I spoke up a few
weeks ago about missing this feature from my Pro Tools days. I am
happy that others see the value in using loop recording this way and
very happy that Jesse and Paul have worked so much the last few weeks
on these features.

Anyway, from now long distant memory I do think Pro Tools created
separate audio files for each pass. since I always have some pre- and
post- time in my loop recordings I suspect that there was pleanty of
time to close one before opening another but I suspect none of that
really makes as much difference with today's high powered machines. I
no longer recall how the file naming worked but I suspect that it was
done by appending something like _a, _b, or _1, _2, etc.

Cheers,
Mark