[ardour-dev] quick note re: MTC

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Jan 3 05:31:21 PST 2007

Seems I have been too optimistic :-(.

I did some more tests with multichannel setups, and two problems
appeared, both show-stoppers.

1. When the built-in multichannel panner is bypassed, in many
cases (but not always) the post-fader levels jump up to -3dB
and stay there, slightly oscillating around that value. There
is no sound, and the level is independent of fader gain until
the fader is fully off. This could be some Inf or Nan getting
into the DSP code, maybe from an uninitialised buffer. I found
no way to get rid of it except removing the track and creating
it again, until it works normally.

2. Importing / embedding multichannel files works sometimes,
but in most cases one of two other results is obtained:

- nothing at all, the import has no effect.
- the imported audio does not show up in the track but in
  the region list (frow where it can be dragged into a track).

I'd say there's a 50% chance for either. Explicitly
selecting the destination in the menu provided on the
import dialog doesn't make any difference.

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.