[ardour-dev] Help with merge to trunk from surfaces

Gerd Flaig gefla at pond.sub.org
Wed Feb 14 03:39:45 PST 2007

John Anderson <ardour at semiosix.com> writes:

> I'm not getting this right. I had a look at the relevant parts of the
> svn book, tried saying
>
> svn merge svn+ssh://ardoursvn@ardour.org/ardour2/trunk svn+ssh://ardoursvn@ardour.org/ardour2/branches/surfaces

[...]
> But those didn't work. Then I tried checking out trunk and then saying

what error did you get? I just tried the equivalent command with
anonymous repository access without any problem. The above merge
command has the right form, but might give unexpected results if you
don't review your diffs thoroughly before committing the merge to
trunk: Any changes between the last merge from trunk to the branch and
the current head revision in the trunk will be reverted by this merge.

I suggest explicitly specifying the last merge to branch revision as
the trunk base revision for the merge to trunk, like this:

% svn merge svn+ssh://ardoursvn@ardour.org/ardour2/trunk@1449 svn+ssh://ardoursvn@ardour.org/ardour2/branches/surfaces

If this produces too many conflicts to be practical, you might want to
try merging the trunk changes from 1449 to the current revision into
the branch and merging to trunk afterwards. There have been changes in
the last two days.

        Goodbyte, Gerd.
--
The last thing one knows in constructing a work is what to put first.
                -- Blaise Pascal