[Ardour-Dev] Overlaps & crossfades

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 22:56:35 PST 2007

Sorry to keep pressing this point but I still need to know what is the
significance of a "default" fade (within the context of an Ardour region).

Following my last email I did some more experiments and I now realise that
the behaviour of overlapping timeline fades is dependent upon whether the
relevant regions are transparent or opaque.  However, I still don't know
what the difference is between a fade and a default fade.

Does the term "default" refer to the timing of the fade?  Or its profile?
Or both?  Or neither?  Or is it something that's there for future expansion?

Many years ago I worked on another DAW (AudioFile) which also had the
concept of a default fade - but I don't want to make the mistake of assuming
that Ardour's default fade fulfils the same purpose.  It would be better if
I could find out what the *actual* purpose is.

Thanks,

John