[Ardour-Dev] Trying to use the Ardour library outside of Ardour

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Wed Aug 1 05:10:42 PDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:39:42PM -0700, Mark Jones wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build a renderer for Ardour projects.
>
> I fail to understand what for you is the difference between
> 'mixing' and 'rendering'. When you mix, you can record the
> result onto new tracks. What else is there to be done ?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he is referring to a live situation
where he wants to mix/record a live performance while simultaneously
(possibly on the same machine) rendering a previous performance
(edited for CD and with mastering?) for a immediate distribution.  Is
this correct Mark?

I think you could do this (assuming your machine is up to the I/O
challenge) by using a second jackd running using the dummy driver and
a different server name (--name).  In the terminal where you start the
ardour that you want to render with, export the JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER
environment variable with that name before starting ardour.  Same deal
if you want Jamin in the render path.  This should allow you to do
what you need without custom software (in theory, I haven't tried it).

jlc