[ardour-dev] Multiple Soundcards?

John Rigg ardev at sound-man.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 10:10:39 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 03:53:26PM +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> In the netjack package, there is a program called "alsa_client" or
> something similar. Lets say your card #1 is hw:0 and your card #2 is
> hw:1, then first start jackd connecting to hw:0, then run the alsa_client
> program connecting to hw:1.
>
> If you have used qjackctl, you should now see ports for both your cards.
>
> Card #2 will resample in software though, so its not the ultimate
> solution. But chances are that its impossible to hear any difference
> compared to syncing the cards by wire.

2 RME cards is a lot of channels. I don't think I'd like to rely
on software resampling for high channel counts. In fact if quality
is critical, like in a recording studio, I wouldn't use it at all
due to the possibility of dropped or duplicated samples as the two
cards' clocks drift in and out of sync. Hardware sync is preferable
(and if you can afford it, syncing all your cards from an external
master clock is better than daisy chaining the cards together).

John