[ardour-dev] Multiple Soundcards?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:47:47 PDT 2007

I believe you can do this if you are a smart Alsa user. I've tried it
and failed. There would be a couple of steps:

1) Both RME cards are installed. One acts as a clock master and the
other as a slave. For whatever clock method you choose - probably word
clock but it could be ADAT or spdif - it won't matter - you need to
have a cable going between the two cards to transmit the clock from
the master to the slave.

2) You then need to build a 'virtual' sound card in asoundrc. Google
alsa virtual sound card for more info. Here's one, but not the best,
link:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php

   Once you have the virtual sound card you should be able to access
it in QJC. If the cards are HDSP based you would probably need to run
two copies to see all the mixer channels and you cannot route audio in
hardware between the two cards.

Hope this helps,
Mark