[ardour-dev] More Thoughts on TearOff

Brian Ahr brianahr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 23:18:15 PST 2006

Hi all.
I had a few thoughts on #1091, which I should have included in the last
email on the subject. So I thought I'd share them with you here.

It looks like the problem is pretty much due to the TearOff widget
trying to handle its own dragability (is that a word?). Ie, it tries to
catch the button_pressed and button_released events and handles moving
itself manually. The patch for #1091 is more of a proof-of-concept,
demonstrating that the button_released signal isn't getting called
often. Its not fool-proof, because some of the widgets intercept the
button_released signal before it gets down to the TearOff
widget/panel/thing.

Example: Detach the transport, right click on the rightmost AudioClock,
and select "off". The transport will be stuck to the mouse again, and
usually, your cursor will land on one of the buttons to the right there.
Now they intercept the button_released signal, and the TearOff widget
doesn't get it.

I'm not 100% sure why the tearoff widget tries to manage "dragability".
Perhaps someone can explain this to me. It would seem that most window
managers will provide decorations (ie title bar, etc) to allow the user
to move the tearoff. Additionally, it seems that in order to completely
get rid of this problem, the "dragability" code in tearoff needs to be
removed. Included is a patch to remove that code, against r1137.

~Brian