[ardour-dev] ardour2-beta7.1rev1100-cursor move to crash

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Nov 14 08:43:33 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 03:30:19PM +0100, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
>    On 11/10/06, Roger Depreeuw <[1]rogdepre at skynet.be> wrote:
>      This one is bugging me for some time, but i couldn't get a decent
>      bactrace so far.
>      Here it comes: While playing, trying to move the playhead backward,
>      zombifies. This happens something like 1 out of 10.
>      (By the way is "zombify" correct english or an ardour expression)
>
>    Actualy it's UNIX english. A zombie process is a process in a
>    special state. It is meant to be dead but still has an allocated
>    PID and some space allocated in the process table. Wikipedia
>    would tell you more ;-)

Or, y'know, me.  :-)

A zombie is a process that is a child of some other process (though all
processes are, eventually, children of root) and has exited, but it's
parent has not yet wait(2)ed for it.

It is kept around in the process table so that when that parent process
*does* get around to calling wait, the appropriate information is still
around to give it.

Cheers,
-- jr 'answering obscure UNIX questions since 1984' a

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_