[ardour-dev] Insight on a few Ardour bugs?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Nov 9 08:08:48 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 21:11 -0700, Brian Ahr wrote:
> Hi all.

Hi Brian,

first of all, thanks a lot for getting involved in ardour development.
If you can, I'd encourage you to come join us on the ardour IRC channel,
where we can do realtime discussion rather than the email
back-and-forth. Details on the support page.

i have a few initial answers to your email below; more later from me or
others.

> Also, one more quick question. If a bug is marked for the 0.9x series,
> but is still present in the 2.0 series (and I fix the 2.0 series bug),
> should I post the patch to that bug, or file a new one for the 2.0
> series, and post it there? Or just email out patches?

post to that patch.

> 1. Bug #211, Most buttons do not show their status (colour) when the
> mouse is hovering over them
>
> Seems like #94 and #211 might be related?
> http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=94
> http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=211
>
> I'm curious if the gtkrc file can be modified to fix this. That

it can't. its a logic problem in GTK's design. the solution is to
prevent buttons from ever entering "PRELIGHT" state. there are some
buttons that have had this done already, but alas the knowledge of how
it was done has been lost to the mists of time. the thing to do is to
find a button that doesn't do the PRELIGHT thing, and make every button
do that.

the logic problem, btw, is this: a button can be set to ACTIVE or
NORMAL, and then go into PRELIGHT from either of them on mouseover. but
if colors are used to indicate ACTIVE or NORMAL state, what color should
be used when it is PRELIGHT? there is clearly no way to provide a
correct single answer to this question, but PRELIGHT can have only 1
color associated with it. they just weren't thinking about the use of
color.

> 3. Bug #1210, Would be nice if there was a way to globally change the
> height of all tracks in the editor.
>
> http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=1210
>
> I've gone around on this one for a while. I have a patch for it, but I'm
> sure theres a better way.

there is and i'm almost done with it :)

> 7. Seems like there might be a few memory leaks?

not that we know of. i use valgrind a lot. we don't care too much about
memory leaks at program close, and unfortunately i don't know of a good
way to track memory leaks at session close.

> There's no bug filed for this as of yet. But I ran Ardour through
> valgrind, (ie, open ardour, play 2-3 seconds of audio, and close it).
> The output from valgrind is nearly 10,000 lines long (ie, about 250
> pages) Granted, a lot of that is bugs in GTK, Gtkmm, glib, etc... I
> should set up valgrind to suppress the bugs in the libraries. Does
> anyone have an existing ardour-specific suppression file that they use
> for this kind of stuff?

i just tend to live with it as a reminder that we live in an imperfect
world ;)