[ardour-dev] Unpacking the tarball(s)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Nov 3 05:42:01 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 13:12 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I've not yet got around to trying Subversion.  I thought I'd just download
> the latest tarballs and hook up to Subversion sometime later.
> However, I can't unpack the contents of either ardour-cvs.tar.tar
> or ardour-2.0beta6.2.tar.tar.

the files should end in ".bz2". i suspect this is just a mis-typing on
your part.

> I've tried using WinZip, GZip and PowerArchiver - all of which can open
> other tar archives.  Can you suggest anything that might be able to open the
> archives under MS Windows?

we use bzip2 for compression, its free of possible legal issues with zip
and other formats. googling for "bzip2 windows" found me this:

   http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm

the result of the decompression is a tar archive. a similar google
search reveals:

   http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm

however, PowerArchiver 6.1, 7-zip or winzip can all handle tar archives,
it appears.

--p