[ardour-dev] Fader gain

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Mar 16 23:29:18 PST 2006

Quoting fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be>:

> There are two numerical indicators just above the fader/meter
> area. I mean the left one of those.

Do you mean the one on the right, the one which shows peak values?

> This thing is getting stranger every day. Just to check my
> sanity before posting this, I loaded an existing session
> consisting of just one stereo track and a master bus.
> The fader on this track works as expected. Then I added a
> mono track and recorded a sine wave at -20dB. For playback
> this track goes through the master strip. The fader for the
> new track attenuates by twice the dB value indicated, and the
> fader in the bus strip behaves normally...

I just created a session with a master bus and a mono track. I recorded some
click on the track. This results in both the track and master peak meter
showing a max peak of -15.3 peaks when gain at unity (-15.4 for bars, -15.3
for beats, but let's not care about that small difference here).

Track gain      | track |  bus
   0.0          | -15.4 | -15.4
 -10.0          | -25.2 | -25.2
 -20.0          | -35.3 | -35.3

I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I am seeing something else though.. If i
set the track meter to "pre" instead of "post", the meter shows a peak of
-12.3. How can this happen when there are no redirects on the track? To be
on the safe side, i disconnected all inputs from the track and disabled
auto-input. The meter did not change. Strange, eh?

   Sampo