[ardour-dev] Modules

Kito kito at gentoo.org
Sun Mar 5 10:35:48 PST 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Rpough mockup based on talk with Dave Robillard about embedding a
> modular
> system into a DAW:
>
> http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06090/modular_daw_01.png

I like his idea a lot. The best node-based UI I've seen/used is by
far Shake[1], heres a little screenshot [2]. A few audio apps use
this concept too, Bias Peak [3]  has 'V-Box' which gives you a node
view that can be used just like any other effect(send,inserts, etc.),
and of course there is Native Instruments Reaktor[4] as well....

> Now think of
> - adding a limter before piping an input into a track
> - feeding a single reverb from several tracks, also with automation
> data.
> - sharing automation between audio and midi (with nodes for range and
> type conversion)
> - having DSSI plugins shown as nodes right next to their midi tracks
> - lots of fun by track intermodulation

Yeap =)

> Issues:
> - space requirements, avoiding noodle salad

I think if each pane has independent zoom, there are some handy 'auto-
arrange' type functions, and node grouping is available,  it can be
quite manageable. I've had quite complex shake projects and they are
quite easy to keep under control.

> - controling plugins in a pane or windows?

Would they have to be mutually exclusive?

> - how to implement solo with the least amount of special rules /
> additional infrastructure / hassle for the user.
> - how to show connections going back intro a track from the right side

Not sure about these...

> So what do you guys think?

Again, I think is a great way to work and I've been wanting a nice
node based DAW for quite sometime.

--Kito

[1] http://www.apple.com/shake
[2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/shake_nodes.png