[ardour-dev] **Caution-External**: Re: Live Mixdown

Polashek, Matthew matthew_polashek at mcgraw-hill.com
Thu Jan 12 06:26:24 PST 2006

Some responses here.

Fortunately, I'm not stuck with any given hardware configuration as yet,

except that there is a set of passive main speakers and two monitor's
presently. I think that's heading toward active monitors and mains, but
it's
just poor me paying for it, at first.  I'm a real stickler for proper
monitor control being one of the biggest needs to a solid sounding
performance and stage ambience is non-existing for in-ear monitors.

The beauty of Ardour is that you cam make as many mixes as you want.

My only concern in that instance, is a gross feedback event coupled with
VNC loss, but I can do an infrared deadman's switch easy enough.

Or put a hardware feed back eliminator in the loop.

My threshold for latency would be <10 milliseconds max, preferably 5,
but in
a good size room, most won't hear 10.

The audio latency will not be effected by the VNC.  The audio will stay
on stage, so depending on your kernel and your EFX, you have a
theoretical minimum of 1.5 milliseconds I believe.

8-O I'm wondering then, why the Gain controls would not function in that

instance?

The Ardour gain controls will work fine, but the hardware converter may
have a physical gain control, as in the case to the Berhringer ADA8000,
which you will not be able to control from Ardour.  If you have a source
on stage that increases it's volume beyond your input attenuation,
you'll get a clip on the A/D which will sound unpleasant.  If you have a
card with a soft gain, then you're all set.  I haven't heard of a Mic
pre with a soft gain pot though.

  VNC is simply remoting the mouse/key states between two machines,
yes?  For however Ardour handles the gain command in a pseudo-analog
slider
or dial, to the related sound card, it would still obey the remote
command
every bit as local, would it not?

You are correct here.