[ardour-dev] Live Mixdown

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Wed Jan 11 06:26:56 PST 2006

"Urbansound" <urbansound at sbcglobal.net>:
> My desire is to consider Ardour in a live, 32 channel, audio control
> system in a small entertainment house, extending real inputs as low
> impedance XLR type microphone inputs and high impedance instrument
> inputs.  The output side would be 4 channels out to discrete monitor
> channels and 3 channels main output to main amp, (main = Left/Right,
> plus sub-woofer).

Related to the aspect of getting audio signals from stage to FOH-mixer:
AudioRail transport audio long-distance over ethernet. Their ADAT
version allows for cheap AD and ADAT-outs on stage (ADA8000), cheap
transport medium (Cat.5) and fairly cheap ADAT-ins at FOH.

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/ (Home)
http://www.audiorail.com/ar_app.pdf ("AudioRail application example:
Being deployed in live sound reinforcement")

Then there's MADI (64 channels long-distance over coaxial or fiber)
which reads somewhat cool to me but it gets nastily expensive. The only
cheap thing here would be the cable.
RME has MADI stuff (http://www.rme-audio.com/english/madi/hdspmadi.htm)
and there are ALSA drivers for it.

Wolfgang