[ardour-dev] AMD64 SSE optimisation

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Mon Jan 2 04:27:15 PST 2006

Quoting John Rigg <ardev at sound-man.co.uk>:

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 01:06:16PM +0200, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > That sounds bad. Really bad. That means that the ABI is totally
> different
> > with x86/64. This means that I need to make a full rewrite of the asm
> code
> > using something a bit more compatible than pure assembler.
>
> Couldn't this be done with separate asm files for x86 and x86_64
> and #ifdefs? (I realise that might be messy).

Of course. Or including either the _32.s or _64.s in the project source
files depeding on the architechture. I'm more concerned that we might see
differences between compiler versions...

> BTW the SysV ABI AMD64 document is available at:
>
> http://www.x86-64.org/documentation/abi.pdf

.. Altough. This does seem well documented and written in stone. (=permanent)

That said, it would be nice if the SSE would be in C not ASM.

 Sampo