[ardour-dev] REX2 or ACIDized wavs for ardour

Matt Walker ard.walker at divasive.com
Tue Feb 14 15:53:58 PST 2006

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 16:27, Mark Knecht wrote:

> There actually wasn't, in my mind, all that much that had to be done
> to make Ardour do 90% of what Acid does. What Ardour cannot do today
> is simply retime the loop based on the tempo of the session and the
> native tempo of the file. Beyond that we found that many Acid Loops
> were longer than the number of samples required for the length and
> tempo, so Acid is able to ignore some samples at the start or end of
> the file. That's about it. Where Acid really shines is that it makes
> the recorded tempo of the sample and the tempo of the project
> independent without the user haveing to do anything. It's just easy.
>
> Unfortunately it's never been a project the Ardour devs have wanted to
> take on, much to the disappointment of us Acid type users. Too bad.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Well, that's a good start. It appears that Paul would not be adverse to
looking at some well-tested patches. The core developers obviously have a lot
of other stuff to do, but I would like to take a stab at implementing this.

Mark -- by 'we', do you mean you have been involved in libsndfile development?
Either way, you and I and anyone else who has poked into this should
correspond off-list and collect all the info in one pile. Like I said,
there's a lot of homework to get me up to speed on this, so I'd like to avoid
re-inventing the wheel. I definitely want to rule out any GPL-adverse
licensing weirdness before getting into it too deeply.

Matt Walker