[ardour-dev] problems with SSE code for x86_64

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Feb 8 04:47:01 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 05:23 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:
>
> > its been a condition of accepting code in ardour's codebase that its
> > author transfers copyright to me
>
> I didn't know this was the current policy; a policy which I think is
> very bad.
>
> Why is the policy like this?
>
> I know certain GNU projects do it this way, because they want to
> defend the copyright in court; is this your primary concern and
> intention?

1) I don't have to defend this policy to anyone except people who have
   contributed or may in the future contribute code.

2) Court is one possible venue for a defense of the copyright, yes.

3) If we ever have a reason to want to allow dual licensing in the
   future (e.g. mySQL, SleepyCat DB, QT), that process will be
   a lot easier if the copyright already assigned to a single
   person.

4) In the near future, I will be making a very significant announcement
   about commercial involvement with Ardour. It has been a very
   big plus for organizations that the copyright situation is simple.
   Not a huge reason to care? These are organizations that actually
   want to put money on the table to move Ardour into the professional
   leagues to which it aspires.

--p