[ardour-dev] 64 bit users, please test the latest ardour1 CVS

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:34:39 PST 2006

On 2/3/06, Geoff Beasley <songshop at bizmedia.com.au> wrote:
> G'day Jesse,
>  a bit of advice needed.
>
> I have 2 64 bit machine but running 32 bit gentoo. To test this I'd need to
> build Gentoo again from 64 bit sources; question is will other apps won't
> (jack, wine for eg) run in that environment very well or at all ?

I run 64-bit Gentoo, as do others. Ardour, Jack and all audio apps
other than some streaming video from the web have worked fine for me.
The streaming video problems are probably codec issues of some kind.

> clearly 64 bit is the way to go in the long term but I'm not sure what else
> will break along the way ....

Always good to be careful. Your machines are running well. 64-bit
won't make you much faster, if at all. If you *need* the machines to
be up why change? Note that I found Gnome to be much larger running
under 64-bit. Pretty much everything used up more memory so I had to
buy another 512MB to not run into swap issues.

> IOW is it really worth a try ?

Probably not for now I think. Let us be the test cases....

Cheers,
Mark