[ardour-dev] Mackie protocol and MIDI::Port

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Dec 23 15:52:27 PST 2006

John, I'm gone and offline till January 1st. A brief followup to what
Jesse wrote:

> > So in short, I need some help understanding the thinking behind
> > MIDI::Port.
>
> Pretty much, when you call read on a port, the parser is called and
> sigc++ signals are emitted as appropriate.  The write side should be
> pretty normal.

all true. the idea is that the actual Port::read() is mostly irrelevant
- the thing doing the reading just throws the data away. However, the
Parser attached to the port will get to see all the data flowing from
the port, and as Jesse said, emits signals according to what it sees.
This includes a sysex message, which will deliver you the sysex message
intact (you don't have to worry about it being fragmented across reads
etc).

as jesse said, i would focus on wrapping the MC sysex messages in
sigc::signal so that the code that actually responds to a given message
doesn't know that it was delivered via MIDI, just that "it arrived".