[ardour-dev] Mackie protocol and MIDI::Port

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Sat Dec 23 06:54:46 PST 2006

This is mostly for Jesse and Paul

I've written a ruby script that talks nicely to my BCF2000 in LC mode.
The protocol is fairly straightforward.

I've put together the shell of a surface lib for Ardour, copy-n-pasted
from the Tranzport lib, with lots of code commented out.

The library loads in ardour and displays "Mackie" in the menu. I've
started writing some code to handle the host initialisation sysex
messages for the Mackie protocol, using MIDI::Port. Calls to write(...)
work OK. At this point in the ruby script, reading from the port gives
the expected response. But trying to call read(...) on the instance of
MIDI::Port always returns -1.

There are a bunch of signals in MIDI::Port that look like they might be
useful for handling fader and pot and button messages. For the host
initialisation sysex messages I'd rather just do simple sends and
receives.

So in short, I need some help understanding the thinking behind
MIDI::Port.

thanks
John